What is Doxycycline Compounded?
Doxycycline is an antibiotic used to treat infections like Lyme disease, chlamydia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and bacterial infections caused by susceptible organisms. Compounding is beneficial in instances where a specific dosage is unavailable or in different forms to make it easier to dose your pet. Doxycycline Compounded requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
Please Note: custom compounds take 2-3 business days to prepare and cannot be shipped to NC or MS.
Cats and Dogs
- Treats a variety of infections
- Once-a-day broad-spectrum antibiotic
- Treats Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Also can treat urinary tract infections
How does Doxycycline Compounded work?
Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic that treats bacterial infections. It works by interrupting the production of proteins by bacteria. Its effective against a wide variety of bacteria.
Do not give doxycycline to pregnant or nursing pets. Do not give multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within two hours before or after giving doxycycline. These products can reduce the effectiveness of doxycycline.
Doxycycline Compounded Directions:
- Doxycycline Compounded, a prescription medication, is a tetracycline antibiotic used for the treatment of bacterial infections such as Lyme disease, Chlamydia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and other bacterial infections in dogs and cats.
- Give doxycycline for the entire length of time prescribed by your veterinarian, even though symptoms may improve before the infection is completely treated.
- Do not give doxycycline to pregnant or nursing animals.
Throw away any unused doxycycline compounded when it expires or when it is no longer needed. Do not give doxycycline compounded after the expiration date printed on the bottle.
Store this product at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
What is a Compounded Medication?
A compounded medication is the creation of a particular medication to fit the unique needs of a patient, including changing the form of the medication (e.g., from a solid pill to a liquid) for a variety reasons (e.g., to make it easier to take, to avoid a non-essential ingredient, to obtain the exact dose needed, adding favorite flavors).
If you are having difficulty giving your pet prescribed medication or need to find a discontinued medication, 1-800-PetMeds offers compounding services on select medications. We can prepare the following: (1) custom strength quantities of a medication (as capsules, liquid, chewable tablets, or transdermal (absorbed through the skin); (2) dosage forms to mask bitter or unpleasant taste (such as capsules or chewable tablets that can also be flavored); (3) dosage forms to make it easier to dose your pet such as a transdermal or liquid (that can also be flavored); and (4) discontinued products such as cisapride or DES.